- Performs installation, maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair of commercial and industrial air conditioning and refrigeration systems that provide a variety of functions such as heating, cooling, humidifying, dehumidifying, circulating and filtering.
- Size and complexity of air conditioning and refrigeration equipment worked on varies.
- Systems use various methods of air conditioning such as mechanical and vapor compression, absorption and air cycle.
- Some of these areas may have special, critical or rigid environmental control requirements such as communication centers, data processing centers and operating rooms.
- Maintains the efficiency, reliability and safety of operation of systems by checking performance, diagnosing problems, and making necessary repairs or adjustments or by replacing defective parts.
- Checks elements such as low side and high side pressure, temperature of the cooling units, pressure and temperature of the liquid and suction lines, and the running time of the various mechanisms
- Repairs or replaces fans, pumps, thermostats, humidistats, motors, compressors, valves, gauges, pneumatic and electric controls, filters and other related elements.
- Installs refrigeration and air conditioning systems by positioning compressors, motors, condensers, humidifiers, dehumidifiers, evaporators, heaters, and other components in accordance with design specifications.
- Installs and connects auxiliary control mechanisms and piping or tubing.
- Connects recording and gauging devices.
- Charges refrigeration systems and tests installation for leaks.
- Starts unit and adjusts it for proper operation and optimum performance.
- Must have the skill and knowledge necessary to install, maintain, troubleshoot and repair a wide variety of air conditioning and refrigeration systems including circulating air and chilled water air conditioning systems, high, medium and low temperature refrigeration systems, and total environmental control systems.
- Must have knowledge of the principles and theories of air conditioning and refrigeration as they relate to the refrigeration cycle, heat transfer laws and the use of refrigerant tables; and the skill to make repairs to a variety of heating, ventilation; air conditioning, and refrigeration systems.
- Must have the ability to read and interpret blueprints, specifications and technical instructions.
- Must have the skill and ability to disassemble, repair and reassemble units such as pumps, impellers, compressors, chillers, receivers, evaporators, condenser and motors.
- Must be skilled in the use a variety of tools, test equipment, and close tolerance measuring devices such as voltmeters, ammeters, multimeters, vacuum and acid pumps, pressure gauges, serviceman's thermometer, humidity recorders, micrometers, calipers and soldering equipment
- Must have the skill and knowledge to evaluate system operation, detect deficiencies, troubleshoot cause and make necessary adjustments and repairs.
All information for work orders, assets, specifications, and condition assessments is captured in the NAVFAC’s MAXIMO - therefore, candidates must be able to learn and utilize this software platform.
Emergency/On-Call: may be required to respond to job related emergencies, within 1 hour of notification.